Friday, November 28, 2008

Archetypes

I just finished reading "45 Master Characters" -- the archetype book. I decided fairly early into reading that I wasn't going to be able to use this. I already know who Anaea (my MC) is with some certainty, and she didn't fit cleanly into any of the types the author posited ... at least, not in a way that takes the story where I want it to go. I'm not really willing to alter my underlying plot to follow a prescribed journey. That's not the point of the book, anyhow.

I found it interesting, but fairly basic, and I thought the types were rather limited. The most valuable part of the book is the discussion of the feminine journey and its contrast with the masculine journey. I was highly amused by the fact that the author's example of a gender-bend for the latter (ie, a female undertaking the masculine journey) is The Long Kiss Goodnight, a movie I've always had a soft spot for.

If anything, this got me thinking very strongly about another plot that's decided to kick around in my brain uninvited. I have a couple PCs who I think could work together in a novel. They both have storyline support structures that would combine well for a compelling tale ... and I realize it's very archetypal.

There are two obvious reasons I'm not writing this now. First of all, I want to do this project, I've been doing this research, darned if I'm going to be derailed, especially for something that ... second of all ... I fear may be rather cliche in setting. It's the combination of characters that would blast it to life, and I feel very strongly I know their core already, but ...

Well, for future reference. Who knows, maybe I'll end up doing this instead of the mystery. If I could think of a reasonable way to tackle this without taking time out from my other writing, I would. It's calling to me in a really strong way, and even knowing it's a "bad idea" for reasons mentioned above, it's hard to silence the voices.

But onwards! The Writer's Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe by George Ochoa and Jeffery Osier.

I really have to get to the end of my research jag soon. I want to have my worldbuilding work done before I have to return Borderlands of Science ... ahem.

No comments: