Monday, June 01, 2009

Form and Function

So right now, I wonder if I'm biting off more than I can chew.

Looking at the monthly challenge for fantasy-writers.org, I waffled back and forth about whether to attempt it. Then I thought a flash fiction piece, a nice, succinct description of two quasi-elemental forces dancing - that would be fun to do. To give it more structure, and to imitate the way formal dance constantly comes back to where it started, I thought of using a looped sentence structure.

But then I decided that the dance ought to be between inspiration and tradition ... and with that, you can't just stick to the fixed form. Now I have ideas of starting fixed, then tossing in a few unfixed paragraphs - then having the last sentence in the story contain the initial word, but continue onwards for another part-phrase.

If I do this right, both the story content and form will play out the tension between structure and freeform. If I do it wrong, it'll be a big bloody mess.

We'll see, I suppose!

No comments: