Friday, May 29, 2009

Reading List

A recent post on fantasy-writers.org brought my attention to some of the more classic fantasy novels ... and in the case of the one I'm reading right now, novellas. I'm currently meandering through The Complete Compleat Enchanter, a compilation of the long-shorts by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt from the 1940s. I'm enjoying the experience and "feeling out" the conventions of the era, so I decided to keep at it.

I could have reserved a good dozen books, but decided to stick with three to start because I don't know what my reading time is going to be like ... and one of these is four books in one. The ones I marked:

The Mabinogion Tetralogy - Evangeline Walton, because I'm in love with the Welsh mythos and would love to see how this retelling plays out.

The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle, because I have no idea why I didn't read this years ago. Honestly? There is no excuse. I should be in chains.

The Once And Future King - T.H. White, which I actually have read, but it was a very long time ago ... but I remember enjoying it, hence its re-addition here. The reason I had to reserve it is because I cannot find my copy. Anywhere. Argh.

This will all start after I finish another book which I found while looking for The Once And Future King and have always meant to read: I just found my copy of Machiavelli's The Prince.

No comments: