Saturday, August 14, 2010

Snippets of DC

Things seen over the past few days:

The Declaration of Independence. One of only eleven ornamented Stradivarus violins. The flag for which the Star-Spangled Banner was written. An original copy of the Magna Carta. (Sadly, one of my first thoughts was, "I stole that!" If you didn't play on Crucible City MUX, it's a long story.) A perfect Gutenburg bible. The first map to have "America" printed on it. An entirely unique portrait of Queen Elizabeth. Julia Child's kitchen.

Story sparker for the Flow universe on the Metro.

And this, on the wall of the Library of Congress: "Art is long, and life is fleeting." Longfellow, so says Google. It stuck with me.

2 comments:

Aubrie said...

Wow, was the violin beautiful?

BTW, I sent you a you tube video of me playing with my harpist friend. I'd love to know what you think of it! :)

Lindsey Duncan said...

It was gorgeous! Very cool to see.

I am stuck on my laptop, which is an old clunker, but I will definitely check it out when I get home.