Saturday, July 14, 2018

Review Roundup

So the reviews for Scylla and Charybdis have started to come in, and they have a lot of lovely things to say:'

Duncan has built a fascinating galaxy ...

Truly wonderful science fiction should also make the reader take a good hard look at the world around them, and draw some conclusions about it that they might not have drawn otherwise. And this book delivered on that front.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and I sincerely hope that Ms. Duncan has a sequel planned, because I would love to spend more time with these characters.

I'm still thinking about that one ...

The most gratifying part for me was that the reviewers seemed to love the setting and the characters, two things I'm passionate about when I write ... and for Scylla and Charybdis in particular, writing an exploration of the world was a primary goal.  It's part of why the story is in third person, not first.

A few people did mention they were a bit dubious of the historical actions of the Derithe, the aliens who created Y-Poisoning and then vanished.  Convenient, they've said - and they're right.  I thought about this when I built the setting, and I do have answers for why the Derithe never followed through with the weakness created by their disease, but I realized there was no way my characters would have access to that knowledge.

So ... maybe for a sequel.

No comments: