Thursday, May 06, 2010

Goodreads Review: St. Peter's Fair

St. Peter's Fair: The Fourth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael St. Peter's Fair: The Fourth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The distinct style of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael novels may, on occasion, approach formula, but it's a formula that appeals to all my sensibilities and keeps me reading with a sense of pleasure. These are some of the few books where I simply can't care about any objective flaws. I love the immersive (albiet slightly ponderous) style of the prose, the rich historical detail, the female characters who are clever, subtle, strong-minded - and perfectly period - and Peters' frequent affirmation of the power of love. Here Welshman Rhodri ap Huw is a character of particular note - a very enjoyable part of this tale. So much happens in this book that could be taken for "random," but Peters does an excellent job of keeping the reader assured of the connective thread ... and it all binds up in the end with grace and ease.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: