Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

What an exhausting week this has been! I've been putting out so many fires at work (and just so busy in general) that I haven't had as much time to write as I would like.

I did manage to start the story mentioned in previous posts, even reached the first flashback. I'm having unusual trouble with names in this story - they're just not gelling. They feel too similar. By contrast, I don't really think I have a set culture feel to them ... just sort of gooing around in the fantasy territory.

Small progress in the novel projects. Within a chapter or so, Scylla and Charybdis will have made landfall on Elysium ... and I get to introduce the other cultural dimension. Of course, I've had opportunity (particularly in those recent section) to make it clear that the generalizations are averages and that different regions, planets, etc all have their own viewpoints and takes ... so it helps to avoid an inadvertent sense of being homogenous.

I'm reaching the point in Journal of the Dead where I stopped and went, "This is a stupid problem to have." To whit: I could not figure out why it would take my character most of the day to read two fairly slim books, but I needed the library to close before she got very far in book three - and she'd entered in the early morning. After doing some reality checks with people, I realized that not everyone reads that quickly and ... it's not as silly as it sounds. It still makes me snerk as a rather ridiculous thing to get hung up on.

No comments: