Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

Scylla and Charybdis spatial progress update - now in hyperspace. I'm not real proud of the mechanism I use for hyperspace as I think it's pretty stock ... but it's not an element that's terribly important to the story, so I mainly just needed something that would work for quick travel without getting in the way of the rest of the setting. I am enjoying the weird little pseudo-mystic quirks I've added to the experience - and the fact that ships use mechanical clocks because there's no way to track galactic positioning from hyperspace.

Journal of the Dead - first edit begun! So far, I would say the process of rewriting into a clean file has paid off. I've felt much more free to change awkward phrases or cut redundant information. I feel more in control of when I need to add things, too. I'm still not totally happy with Parik's accidental death in the first chapter, but it is less forced. I think I've probably taken it about as far as I can until I get a fresh set of eyes on it.

I had briefly pondered cutting the chapter section and skipping ahead to the journal, but I think that seeing the process that leads Rhiane up to her rebirth is really important ... and that has to start with her son.

Short stories - I seem to be incapable of writing a short story right now that isn't long, epic and blathery. Have finished several in succession over 7000 words. One of them I think may become a series, if I ever get through my backlog of unfinished free writes. The idea of fantasy time travel is a great one, I love the two characters I've come up with - and it's an interesting way to explore clashing viewpoints and just ... well, settings. Which is an obsession of mine.

No comments: