Friday, May 01, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

This is late because I intended to post yesterday and ... my desktop crashed. No motion. Not sure whether it's dead or just a minor problem. Got someone working on it.

Anyhow, this makes the progress of the past week somewhat ironic: I spent almost all of it working on a story meant for the fantasy-writers.org monthly challenge. The story ran extremely long; Tuesday evening, I finished it an immediately started editing it with an eye for cuts.

Probably the story strictly didn't need to be as long as it was ... but I had decided when I started that I really wanted to immerse readers in the main character's head and explore her problems, so I wasn't going to skimp on flavor elements. I think this is part of why I'm a novelist at heart: I much prefer to explore a situation, immerse in it, rather than carve a straight path through a plot.

I did finish; I was almost done editing. Unfortunately, I was about an hour and a half away from when I usually do my nightly spot backup ... so the progress from about 1:30am Thursday morning to 6pm Thursday evening is - not gone, but trapped. I know the harddrive can be restored if the machine is truly trashed, so I'm leaving the story on there until then.

Still a demoralizing dropout. Grar.

No comments: