Thursday, November 08, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

I'm still ruminating on some personal thoughts I had during the World Fantasy Convention, so this post will address those ... but expect another fairly soon dissecting the writerly side of a recent media series I've been enjoying.

First of all, I realized watching panels that unlike in my harp career, I don't consider myself an expert or authority in the writing field.  I've been examining this outlook, and I think it's not entirely accurate.  It's true that my successes have been fairly minimal, but I have my own perspective to impart.  Writing isn't one-size-fits-all; you never know when someone else's odd habit or technique will click with you.

Second of all, I realized that I don't really consider selling books to friends and family a success.  Now, that doesn't mean I'm not happy and grateful that people in my life want to support me ... but that doesn't say anything about the quality of the book.  I want people to buy my book because it's a great book, or because I've said that something that interests them in me as a writer.  I want it to be about the writing.


Third of all, I very much need practice reading out loud.  (See Saturday's post and "the less said, the better.")  My mother suggested I try recording myself, and I thought this was a great idea.  However, to make it more of a "dress rehearsal," as I get more into it, I thought I might post some of them.  Of course, before I do that, I'll want to listen to some examples, so I'll be checking out some podcasts, including a CD I received in the WFC packet, Laurel Anne Hill's, and probably Podcastle.

Yep.  Because I need more to do ...

No comments: