Saturday, January 01, 2011

This Is *Not* A Resolution ...

... but seeing someone else blog about their reading goals for 2010 and the nifty stats they tracked, I decided to do the same.

I am going to pick the goal of 100 books for the year. I will also try to put up reviews (hi, GoodReads!) on at least the fiction. And I'm going to be tracking the following things:

Novels read in my genre (fantasy):
*Secondary world:
*Urban:
Novels read in mystery genre:
Anthologies:
Non-Fiction:
Sequels and prequels:
Books over thirty years old:
Books I would recommend:
Books I was tempted to put down*:
First person:
Third person single-POV:
Third person multi-POV:
New vocabulary words:
Number of books containing said:
Books with maps:
Appendix consultation necessary:
Cumulative death toll:


* = for several years, I've had a personal rule that I don't put any book down. This started after I read fifty pages of Terry Brook's Running With The Demon, was about to give up ... and then on page fifty-one, it got good. Really good. (For a long time, Nest Freemark was my benchmark for an adolescent character done *right* in an adult novel. It's been so long since I read this book that I can no longer say this for sure.) Even a bad book, I can learn something from it, if only how *not* to write.

I am starting with "Witch Way To The Mall," an anthology edited by the (fantastic) Esther Friesner, all stories featuring (sub)urban witchery. Wish me luck!

No comments: