Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Goodreads Review: Split Heirs

Split HeirsSplit Heirs by Lawrence Watt-Evans

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I came into this book with high hopes because Esther Friesner is one of the authors. Unfortunately, while the book is madcap and amusing, it fails on one major count: the humor is so broad and exaggerated - things carried beyond their logical extreme - that it's hard to suspend disbelief or develop any empathy with the characters. That works fine in a short story, but over a novel, it's jarring and makes it difficult to maintain tension.

That said, once into the book, it's entertaining enough to watch - with amusing turns of phrase and event - that pages keep turning. The plot was well-paced and bounded along with some off-beat twists that I appreciated. However, I still feel I could have walked away from it any time.

I would give this 2.5 stars, but will be generous and round up.

View all my reviews

No comments: