Thursday, April 05, 2018

Goodreads Review: Did You Say Chicks?! ed. Esther Friesner

Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)Did You Say Chicks?! by Esther M. Friesner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really wanted to love this anthology: parodies of sexist sword and sorcery stories are right up my alley, and I've always enjoyed Friesner as both an author and an anthologist. Some of the stories are very good: Doranna Durgin's "A Bitch In Time" about a faithful hound; "A Quiet Knight's Reading," Steven Piziks' tale of unconventional dragon treasure; and of course, Friesner's own "A Big Hand For The Little Lady." (The title in itself is a terrible pun.) But too many of the others have humor that was too broad for my taste, silly rather than funny. The comedy required too much suspension of disbelief for me. It was hard to sympathize with the characters or feel much tension, and a tale that is just laughs rings hollow.

... and I still don't quite understand why the anthology title is funny.

View all my reviews

No comments: