Friday, March 11, 2016

Another Game of Words and Music

I've mentioned before that I have an older car and am limited to listening to CDs, but music is a critical part of keeping the errant parts of my brain focused/distracted/plotting appropriately (take your pick) while driving ... so I make themed CDs.  One of the sets I've enjoyed doing is via word association, where the titles or persistent lyrics lead me from one song to the next.

Here's my current list, with explanations where the thread isn't in the title:

I To You - Leona Lewis
This Time - Celine Dion (both songs about abusive relationships)
Time Machine - Ingrid Michaelson 
Ghost in the Machinery - Sarah Brightman
Ghosttown - Madonna
Nobody Home - Amy Grant
Clear The Area - Imogen Heap
Shelter - Eisley
Umbrella - Rihanna
Today the Sun's On Us - Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Brighter Than The Sun - Colbie Caillat
Blinding - Florence + The Machine
Just Want To See - Cowboy Junkies
When He Sees Me - Sara Bareilles (the line "he could be criminal ... some kind of psychopath who escaped from an institution somewhere where they don't have girls ..." plus this is actually in tango rhythm)
Cell Block Tango - Chicago soundtrack
Security - Joss Stone
Hot Cop - Village People
Heat Rising - September
Swoon - Imogen Heap
Falling in Love (Uh-Oh) - Miami Sound Machine
Ex's & Oh's - Elle King
Blow Me (One Last Kiss) - P!nk
Sisters in the Wind - Laura Powers
Little Sister - Jewel
13 Little Dolls - Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Not Big - Lily Allen
Thin Line Between Love and Hate - Annie Lennox
Push Pull - Purity Ring
Disappear - Sahlene (this song is all about a push-pull kind of relationship)
She Used To Be Mine - Sara Bareilles
Say You'll Be Mine - Amy Grant
Don't Say A Word - Ellie Goulding 
The Last Words You Said - Sarah Brightman
Isobel - Dido (both songs about someone who probably died, but it's never stated outright - and the line "the last day leaving" leads into the next on my list)
The End of a Perfect Day - Kirsty MacColl
Loose Ends - Imogen Heap
What Have We Started? - Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Begin Again - Purity Ring

So that's the current list.  As another point of possible amusement, I have a "Marriage" themed CD as well ... and I just about fell over when I realized that I'd followed "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on The Roof with Beyonce's "Single Ladies" ...

No comments: