Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Tuesday Thoughts

"The streets are crawling with Romans!"

Humor is a funny thing.  (Pun intended.)  Sometimes, jokes that are perfectly constructed just glance off us ... but other times, a particular line, scene or situation strikes us as hilarious and continues to amuse through innumerable repetitions.  Sometimes, that bit of "perfect" humor isn't all that funny, objectively speaking - but it always makes us grin.

Here are a few of mine.

Since I couldn't find the above bit - from History of the World Part 1 - I include another classic snippet of Mel Brooks visual punnery:

Comb the Desert!

Also on the classical movie front, saying "Surely you jest" or anything of that ilk in my family is only at your peril:  the inevitable response is, "I am, and don't call me Shirley."  Back to History of the World Part I, my family also says, "It's good to be the king" at random times ...

This cartoon, from the Far Side, comes to mind almost every time a nasty storm starts to blow in:


Then, of course, there's my favorite response to any discussion of the grammatical importance of commas:






I go to look at this picture when I'm in a bad mood, that's how hard it makes me laugh.

I risk losing part of my audience here, so skip over this one if you're not a watcher of AMC's The Walking Dead.  This definitely falls into the category of "I'm not even sure why this is so funny to me."  It's from the Bad Lip Reading take on the show, which is so-so until you hit this.  Should anyone venture to listen without context, let me preface by saying that in the show, this is an extremely tense face-to-face negotiation:

The Governor's Song

More generally, something that never fails to make me smile, from the wonderful folks over at Improv Anywhere.  Imagine going to your local mall and encountering this:

Food Court Musical

Finally, my favorite one-liner joke:

Q:  What do you get when a midget psychic escapes from prison?

A:  A small medium at large.

If any of these tickled your funny bone, enjoy!  If none of these strike you, well ... humor is a funny thing.

No comments: