Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

Finished writing a short story this week for the FWO sequel story challenge. Light dawned, the angelic choruses sung, and I am going to need to swear up and down to the members that I don't always write about music-related topics, because this one is back to my rhythmists, mages who shape spells through percussive (non-musical) patterns.

The story which I am sequelling (and verbing) was originally written for the "write a main character who isn't a hero" challenge. Rather than take that as writing from the perspective of a villain or an anti-hero, I decided to write a very ordinary, non-heroic character whose actions still drove the story despite himself.

With this sequel, without the pressure to keep him from doing brave deeds, Dossian gets bold. What he doesn't get is particularly competent. I had a blast writing him fumbling around. He's not the kind of person you'd want watching your back in a fight. You'd be worried he'd hit you instead.

The novel continues apace. I'm into Episode Nine - the second to last episode - and looking on track. I have no idea what's going to happen as we come into the closing round, especially with my romantic subplot, for which there appears no satisfactory conclusion ... but that's part of the fun of it.

Word count for 1/6 - 1/12: 11,829

No comments: