Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday Thoughts

Status: Quo.

All is fairly normal on the writing front, save that for the first time in a while, I'm working on a short story where I don't have the conclusion mapped out. It's slower writing, but I am fairly comfortable with letting play out ... just concerned about the foreshadowing I may have to go back and do. I can also see places where the reader would say, "I don't know what to believe about character X" and ... I think that's the point. Those blanks are for the reader, in the end - imagined edges outside the scope of the story.

Out of the wrenching section of Scylla and Charybdis, finally ... and wow, on the downswing. Of course, I've been saying that for months ...

2 comments:

Aubrie said...

What is your new short story about? Is it for a particular anthology or magazine?

Lindsey Duncan said...

It's basically about a girl who discovers she has the knack for playing an instrument of incredible power and her much more (otherwise) talented younger sister. The fate of both has kind of been up in the air throughout.

I rarely write targeted to a market unless a) I am very interested in the venue or b) the theme jumps out and grabs me. I have so many ideas and partial starts (from hour-writes) that I really want to get down on paper.