Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

Non-heroic short story: finished. Final word count (pre-edit): 6,660 words. That's not ominous or anything.

I'm becoming concerned with Scylla and Charybdis that my mindset is too archaic for science fiction. I'm an old-fashioned girl: I don't like the constantly-plugged-in aspect of iPhones, cellphones that can cook omelettes for you, etc - I don't even understand the appeal. I think that has been reflected in my treatment of connectivity in my societies. You can be effectively linked twenty-four-seven with a device the size of a dot. However ... a lot of people opt out of being publicly accessible.

I honestly think is realistic: after some decades (maybe a century?) of continuous connectivity, it's going to get wearing, and my personal take is that the trend will swing back towards deconnectivity as a way of re-establishing private space. But maybe this is hopelessly old-fashioned. I just don't know.

I should've written this novel two decades ago when this wasn't even an issue, I think.

I'm midway through my Journal rewrite and I just want to say again that I love Razentis. He's such a thoroughly odd man. Fear a savvy politician who has nothing to do except amuse himself.

No comments: