Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Numerology

Exhibit A for the prosecution in the case: I am neurotic.

I've been following a new series of articles about varying flash fiction forms - ways of creating a story by imposing artifical structure on a piece.

Well, I ran out. So I came up with my own form.

I decided to use words per sentence. Alternating paragraphs of the following two patterns:

2 / 4 / 6 / 8 / 22
1 / 3 / 5 / 7 / 9 / 11

This is all to do with numerology: these are the significant numbers in the system. 11 and 22 are reduced to 2 and 4, respectively, but they indicate a higher destiny, so they're always notated.

In my defense, I only decided I would have nine paragraphs (equivalent to the nine main numbers) when I was about halfway through and trying to figure out how I wanted to end it.

Furthermore, the name I chose for the main character is an imperfect anagram of eleven and adds up to twenty-two.

The story does involve numerology, but the musical side - the music of the spheres.

I had *fun* doing this.

... I think my brain is diseased.

No comments: