Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wednesday Wanderings

I think we all adopt phrases and verbal tics that in some cases started out as humorous or clever, but have become such an integral part of our daily lexicon that we no longer think much of them ... until we say something and the person next to us stares or bursts out laughing.  Oh.  *Oh*.  Some of them simply may be "regular" sayings that have passed out of common usage.

For your (hopeful) amusement, here are some of mine:

We're off like a herd of turtles:  my family says this all ... the ... time.

(I'll be back in) two shakes of a lamb's tail:  I have no idea where I picked this one up, but I say it a lot.

Easy breezy lemon squeezy:  blame my pastry instructor.

Good enough for government work:  same.

I have two brains - one's lost, and the other's out looking for it:  this has become one of my stock responses when I do something dim-witted.

The wheel's spinning, but the hamster's dead:  about the same.

It takes me two pages to say hello:  I'm long-winded / wordy.  At least in writing.

Hello, Department of Redundancy Department, Hello:  another family standard.

It's good to be the king:  ... if you haven't seen Mel Brook's History of the World Pt 1, this one won't make much sense.  (See also:  "The streets are crawling with Romans!" and "Walk this way.")

No comments: