Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thursday Thoughts

So both the last story I finished - Wine & Chocolate - and the current one I'm working on - an untitled, unfinished free write - both involve a mysteriously deserted city as seen through the eyes of a first person.  There is no connection between these two tales, not even in their conception:  the story fragment was written a little over five years ago and just happened to be the next one, chronologically, that I hadn't finished.  The explanations, plot and motivations are entirely different.

Even so, as I started to work on this new tale, my brain nagged at me with a sense of deja vu and finally the thought, "Wait, didn't we just write this?"  I stopped myself, puzzled, then realized what had happened.

On the other hand, I have written another story with a deserted city at its core - Sleepwalking - so it may be simply that it's a theme that interests me.  Perhaps it's that I'm antisocial and the idea of a city with no people in it appeals to me.

Just another episode in the life of a writer.

No comments: