Friday, April 13, 2007

Around The World

Ripped myself another driving CD. I should note my musical requirements for driving are fairly exacting: song must be medium-to-fast tempoed with a strong beat and singable. I've broken this with a few specific songs ("Storms In Africa" is not in English; "Murder in Mairyland Park" is very slow - and as far as I can tell, yes, the i is supposed to be in there), but in general. This one is "Around The World" as all the songs are either titled with or refer to places. My Kirsty MacColl obsession continues to be a dangerous beast. In particular, "Soho Square" is one of my favorite songs. It's mournful in a hopeful way; a sense of maybe-someday that is profoundly sad without directly admitting it. A gorgeous instrumental swell in the middle that reminds me of the prettier parts of the Ladyhawke score.

Anyhow, to make a long story short ("Too late!") here's the list.

1. "Walking Down Madison" -- Kirsty MacColl
2. "Harem" -- Sarah Brightman
3. "Sunset Boulevard" -- Andrew Lloyd Webber (composer - not sure of the singer here)
4. "Orinoco Flow" -- Enya (I think I'm the only one in the world who actually knows most of the lyrics to this song.)
5. "Soho Square" -- Kirsty MacColl
6. "City of Love" -- Martina McBride (okay, this one is stretching it, but it's a place!)
7. "When It Rains In America" -- Sarah Brightman
8. "A New England" -- Kirsty MacColl
9. "Carribean Blue" -- Enya
10. "Wonderland" -- Rachel Fuller
11. "England 2 Columbia 0" -- Kirsty MacColl
12. "Murder In Mairyland Park" -- Sarah Brightman
13. "Drops of Jupiter" -- Train (okay, so this is more "Around the Solar System")
14. "Storms In Africa" -- Enya
15. "Marrakesh Night Market" -- Loreena McKennit
16. "He's On The Beach" -- Kirsty MacColl ("When he called me up one day and said that he was going away, I thought he meant a week in France and not twelve thousand miles to Sydney Bay ...")
17. "Mysterious Days" -- Sarah Brightman ("Springtime in Tangier ...")
18. "Anywhere Is" -- Enya

This one seems particularly bad about having the same artists. Oh well!

No comments: