Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Wednesday Wanderings

The end of the year was tumultuous, hence my radio silence over the past few weeks.  I've never been much for New Year's resolutions, though I do swear by setting goals; I simply don't hold much stock in waiting until or focusing on the first of the year.  The calendar is arbitrary, after all.

On the culinary front, I have some solid goals, though they're mainly coming about now because I've settled into my new job and have time to breathe after the holiday madness.  There are some professional certifications I intend to obtain over the next year; two of them are fairly pro forma (just taking a test to put a rubber stamp on what I already know, maybe with a little brush-up), and one of them is long-term, which I won't qualify for until August - one of the requirements is a certain length of work experience.

On the harp front, I don't have any specific goals, but I have a potential new student and a number of gigs through the first few months of the year.  That should keep me busy for a while.

On the writing front, I must admit I'm at a bit of a loss.  The only goals I can think of either involve external gatekeeping (sell short stories to professional markets; acquire an agent; sell a novel to a major publisher) or more of the same old (finish writing / editing a novel, write a certain number of short stories / poems / flash).  I know I want to get more involved with beta readers and maybe a small critique group, but I'm not sure of the logistics or the details I want.

Thoughts welcome, but for now ... onwards.  That's the important thing.

No comments: