Sunday, June 14, 2015

Word Association

My beloved car (with its vanity plate, HRP BEAT) is a 2003 Subaru Forester.  It long pre-dates the capacity we now take for granted of being able to hook up your phone, iPod, whatever, and play your entire glorious selection of personal music.  The closest it comes is a 6-disc CD changer.

Now, I need music for driving:  it occupies the hyper parts of my brain so I can focus.  I've made something of a game of coming up with themed CDs, everything from Where In The World (songs referencing some geographical location(s)) to Tis A Puzzlement, which was my polite umbrella for songs where I had no idea what in the world was going on in them ...

I've done this so much I've gotten bored of it - of course! - so this time around, I decided to play word association to come up with a sequence.  Here's the first:

I'm Going Out With An Eighty Year Old Millionaire - Kirsty MacColl
Gold Digger - Glee Cast version
Pot of Gold - Dian Diaz
(Chorus contains a reference to "Cinderella on a midnight run" so ...)
On the Steps of the Palace - Into The Woods soundtrack
(Both this song and the next discuss hiding / revealing your identity ...)
Carrier of a Secret - Sissel
(Chorus:  "How many mountains must you climb, how many tears must you cry ...")
River Deep, Mountain High - Celine Dion
Move This Mountain - Sophie Ellis-Bextor
(Chorus:  "Take this chance, I won't repeat this.")
No Second Chance - Blackmore's Night
A Chance With You - Alana Davis
(Chorus:  "But I'm gonna let you fly ...")
I'm Gonna Fly - Sydney Forest
I Heard An Owl - Carrie Newcomer
(Thematically:  "The only peace this world will know can only come from love.")
What About The Love - Amy Grant
(Chorus:  "Angels to the left and the right ...")
Angel - Leona Lewis
Seven Devils - Florence + the Machine
The Seven Deadly Virtues - Camelot soundtrack
(Next song talks a lot about flaws / frailties, so ...)
Don't You Remember - Adele
I'll Remember - Madonna
I Remember L.A. - Celine Dion
The Stars Fell On California - Helen Reddy

I took another starting point and produced:

Fire - Paulina Rubio
Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
It's Raining Men - Geri Halliwell
Alleluias - Solar Twins (... do I really have to explain that segue?)
(Line:  "It's much too late to reinvent the storybook lines anyway ...")
Fairytale - Sara Bareilles
Agony (Reprise) - Into The Woods soundtrack (... and we're back to ITW.  Hush!  But this song also thematically ties into the previous one and "the next best thing.")
(Line:  "All 'round the tower a thick of briar a hundred feet deep ...")
The Path of Thorns (Terms of Endearment) - Sarah McLachlan
Honey - Mariah Carey
Sugar - Heather Nova
(Connection:  both songs start with bus trips)
One of These Days - Michelle Branch
Days - Kirsty MacColl
Ten Days - Celine Dion
(Chorus:  "And all I've gotta do is pray and pray ...")
I Say A Little Prayer - Dionne Warwick
(Chorus:  "Forever and ever ...")
Forever and For Always - Shania Twain
Now and Forever - Anne Murray
Who Wants to Live Forever - Sarah Brightman
(To be honest, I've kind of lost the connection here ... I think it was because this is the opposite of forever)
One - Faith Hill
1-2-3 - Gloria Estefan
One After 909 - Helen Reddy

I'm sort of tempted, for when I get tired of my current selections, of trying to do a six-CD string in sequence ... madness!

No comments: