Thursday, January 09, 2014

Thursday Thoughts

Let me tell you about the first time I ever had an identity crisis.

(This is a writer story, I promise.  Stick with me!)

When I was much younger, I spent a lot of time writing stories - often long, complex multi-"book" series - in my head, sagas which spanned plotlines and generations.  One of these (the beginning dreamed up while listening to Amy Grant's "I'm Gonna Fly") involved a main character named Wylen, a timid homebody who is dragged out of her routine life by daring sorceress Circe ... not to be confused with the mythological Circe, I was just obsessed with the name.  Wylen was intended to be the protagonist, but as I wove the story in my head, I became more and more intrigued with Circe as a character.

This culminated in a moment in the car where I had a complete meltdown because I was afraid I resembled Wylen.

My poor mother dealt with me losing it because I didn't want to be like a fictional character I had created with remarkable poise.  I suppose this is sort of a backwards way of identifying with your characters ...

No comments: