Thursday, July 18, 2013

Thursday Thoughts

I'm not quite sure how I managed to miss posting entirely last week, but I suppose that means I didn't have anything pressing to say ... not that I'm ever busting at the seams with unique and incomparable insights, but cut me a little slack.

This week, however, I've finally finished what (for now) is my final edit of Scylla and Charybdis, coming in just a bit under 145,000 words.  The first chapters have seen critiques in multiple stages ... and now, with a finished novel lurking ominously on my hard drive, I have my eye on the dreaded synopses (long and short ... or in my case, longest and a-little-less-long) and a query letter.

I'm a bit nervous about this one - as a science fiction novel, it's outside of my usual writing zone.  I have it in mind to emphasize the social and worldbuilding aspects of the novel ... and, of course, I won't be looking at publishers or agents that don't also cover fantasy.  I realize there's some risk in this genre hopping, but if nothing else, it was worth writing for my own growth ... and it seems silly just to let it molder.  I certainly would appreciate any advice anyone has as far as the subgenre box-hopping involved, though.

Next up!  I probably will dabble in a few short stories and poetry before moving along to ... more editing.  Who Wants To Be A Hero? has been sitting far too long.  Yes, I am two novels back (one now).  It ain't pretty.

No comments: