Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Big to Little or Vice Versa?

I've reached the point in fantasy / mystery novel work where I'm starting on character profiles, and I wondered ... for those of you who do work in advance, whether writing descriptions, doing mock-interviews, or whatever it is you do to get a handle on your characters - do you usually start with the main character and work your way down to minor members of the cast, or do you start with fringe characters to get a feel for things and work your way up?

2 comments:

Lauren Michelle said...

I'll always at least start with the main character on exercises like this. My stuff tends to be very single-character focused, so that would naturally be the thing I gravitate toward. Sometimes the information I need to grind out gets too involved or requires further thought, though. In those cases, I'll spot-check secondary characters with more crystallized, less complicated roles in order to clear up some questions that arise working through the main one.

Lindsey Duncan said...

That makes good sense. :-)

I'm currently torn whether I want to "work up to" the MC, or whether I want to start there while I'm fresh, but leaning towards the latter.

Thanks for commenting!