Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

(This is my Thursday post from last week, finally restored by Blogger. I can't figure out how to backdate it, so we'll leave that.)

I wish I had the gift of brevity: that short story I mentioned a few days ago is already over 4k, and looks to come in about twice that. But ... it was never meant to be a tight, plot-heavy yarn. Rather, I was going for a leisurely exploration, an examination of relationships, an inward push-me-pull-you about when it's okay to invade someone else's privacy - not a statement piece, but focused on the main character's struggle over this.

I've decided that I am going to start reading my "Who Wants To Be A Hero?" manuscript - two "chapters" a day. (I put chapters in quotes because they're not, really - each chapter represents an episode in the imaginary reality show.) That means it will take me about a week, which is a slow but reasonable reading speed ... but I will have time to read "real" books (again the quotes!), which is something I've been lacking.

It occurs to me that it might be worth posting a "harp playing for fantasy writers," so I will try to do that over the next week. The instrument I play is probably what you would normally see in most fantasy settings.

5/5 - 5/11
Word Count: 4,564 (not counting character work)

No comments: